We get this question a lot, how to get an inactive Instagram username?
Throughout many years, we have seen people do it and get the username without any problems, and some other just try every time and fail.
We have helped many users claim inactive Instagram username several times, so we know a few things that work.
To make you understand the whole idea, I am going to cover some of the Instagram basics, types of Instagram inactive usernames and later guide you on how to get the wheel rolling so that you can get yours.
- How to get an inactive Instagram username?
- How long can it take?
- How to register a trademark to get the Instagram inactive account?
- How to claim an inactive Instagram account without a trademark?
- Do you really need that username?
- The bottom line
- Before you go
How to get an inactive Instagram username?
There are many ways to claim an inactive Instagram username.
Years ago, you couldn’t even do this directly, today, Instagram has its own form in which it allows you to do this process easier, everytime you want.
Types of Inactive Instagram username
- The first one is the case where someone owns the username but hasn’t for a while been posting pictures or participating in any active way. Despite the fact that the user is not there to update the Instagram account, you can still see it. However, you cannot claim this type of username simply because it’s already taken.
- The second type is where someone took the username but for one reason or the other, it becomes suspended or even deleted. You cannot see the account but there is a way you can claim it.
I know it can sometimes be difficult to have the same username for all of your social media accounts.
But, why would you even care about this?
I personally believe that it is imperative to have the same username especially if your account is for a company, blog or even if you have a website.
In fact, I think it should be part of your marketing strategies.
Most people out there will get irritated by the fact that they have to search for you by a new username every time they want to access your content on different social media platforms.
If you have been in this same situation, then there’s something to smile about because there are a couple of solutions for you.
Claiming an Inactive Instagram Username with a Trademark
Although this is a very complicated method, it is one of the best ways of claiming an Inactive Username.
Most of the time, you will be successful in doing it.
You can trademark your business and later claim that the user had already violated Trademark policies.
Trademark Violations usually involve using a Company or even a Business name, logo or any other trademark protected material in a way that aims to confuse the company’s customers in believing that you are the real company.
The reason why I started by stating that this is the most complicated method is that Instagram states it clearly that using a trademark of another company or a business with the aim of misleading or even confusing people with regard to the brand name is a violation.
The problem now comes when they start by saying that using another’s Trademark material in a way that doesn’t show any aim of misleading people with regard to the product name cannot be a Violation of the Trademark policy.
The other thing is that they also state that usernames are served in a “First-come-first-served” basis and they are not reserved for anyone.
Take a look at some of the steps:
Step 1: Register the Trademark materials
Instagram states that the owner of the Trademark may be able to prevent other people from using the same trademark and persuading people to think that there is a relationship between the Trademark owner and the person that is using it illegally.
The only way the Trademark owner can do this is by registering with a recognized Trademark office.
There are some countries where the rights of unclaimed Trademark can be created through the actual use of the Trademark in Commerce or Business.
Step 2: Reporting Trademark Infringement
After you have registered your Trademark materials, you can fill up a form on Instagram and claim that someone is using your Trademark materials without your permission.
Ensure that you have included your complete Trademark claim in your report.
The other thing you need to bear in mind is that you don’t need to have an Instagram account to fill the form.
If there’s a way of reaching out to the person that is using your Trademark materials, then you are supposed to reach them before you even think of reporting.
This way, you can agree on a solution without even involving Instagram in the first place.
Step 3: Wait for Instagram to process it and maybe give an important update
After you have filled and submitted this form, you are now required to wait for a very important update from Instagram.
Some of the updates may affect the database or even delete the inactive usernames to optimize their databases.
Before Instagram was taken by Facebook, it used to be pretty laid back when it comes to Trademark Infringement reports.
However, after that, I have heard many people talk about how difficult it has become to do this. There are some tips I have learned that you can use and convince Instagram that the user is misusing your Trademark material.
- Have an Expert Trademark for the Username. What this means is that if you have Fermi Gardens Trademarked, you are probably not going to get it @FermiG. If you want to claim it and be successful on the move, try your best and trademark it more professionally. You can do it @FermiGardens
- Be very detailed to prove the inactive account that you want to acquire is infringing your Trademark. Instagram support staff wants to feel they are convinced to deactivate or even delete the offending account. You have to bear in mind that Instagram will not just give up an account because the names match, they need more proof to do this. For this reason, you have to convince them that the user is intentionally infringing your Trademark.
- If you are having a Trademark for a Generic name, it will be harder to convince them. It can be difficult because there are millions of other users with a close Username word alignment.
- It is simpler to convince them if you have a very unique name. With a Unique name, you may be able to convince them that the user is impersonating you. The other thing is, it may even become easy to convince them if the account doesn’t even have photos or a profile. In this case, you can argue that the account appears to be you or your company’s simply because there’s no other context.
- It also becomes difficult to acquire the username if you have a trademark material with your first name. This is not unique and hence there may be a million others out there with the same material. The other thing is that Instagram may try and be more lenient if it’s your full name.
How long can it take?
I have heard some of the people out there complain that Instagram is likely to take weeks before solving the issue.
So, just be patient and wait for their answer.
How to register a trademark to get the Instagram inactive account?
I have heard this question from several people.
Today I thought that I should as well guide you on this and ensure you have all the information you need to claim an inactive Instagram username with a Trademark.
I have to come clean and inform you that registering a Trademark is going to take several months and also cost you some dollars.
Don’t be discouraged by this, if you think that the username is important to you, then this process is worth it; there are as well some ways to do it faster, and it keeps changing every year.
There are several firms out there that can help you with this.
You can Google this and get a list of the companies that can help you.
After selecting a reliable company, then follow all their guides and registration procedure to reach them.
After this you can be able to get all the help you need from them. Trademark registration procedures are also dependent on your specific countries.
How to claim an inactive Instagram account without a trademark?
It is really the hardest thing to do; impossible.
Sorry to break it down to you like that.
But, I mean… you can always try, you don’t lose anything.
If you don’t have a Trademark, you have to wait for an opportunity where Instagram will remove all fake and inactive accounts to update their databases.
You need to observe for your followers to know if something like this has happened.
When they remove many inactive or even fake usernames, your followers are likely to drop.
If you have 8,000 followers and notice that they have dropped significantly overnight, then there’s a likelihood that Instagram has removed many fake and inactive usernames.
After this, try and claim the username you want immediately.
If you don’t do it fast enough, someone else is going to claim it before you do.
Having a website, a Facebook account, or any other type of content platform could help you further.
Do you really need that username?
Let’s say you want the username @makeup, it is taken.
Why don’t you just come up with something else?
It’s really not that bad if you think about it.
Trust me, I know how it feels, but in the end, pretty much anything will help, as long as you like it.
Add generic words after or before the word to make it unique.
The username will have the same value; I’ve seen many Instagram accounts being extremely successful while having a bad username.
If you have a trademarked material under the username, you may end up convincing Instagram that the inactive owner is infringing their Trademark policy.
You just need to fill out their Username Trademark Infringement form, give them a comprehensive detail of what you think and also include the Trademark registration details.
They are likely to solve this problem within a very short period of time if everything you provide is legit.
If you don’t have a Trademark, then things get complicated, you can either reach the person with the username and try to solve the problem remotely; your whole mission is to make the Instagram team believe that you deserve to have that username.
Before you go
Our website is all about giving you the best Instagram hashtags out there and sharing the most helpful marketing tips to help you grow online and get you out there.
See our selection of IGTV hashtags, for example.
If you like what we do, bookmark our homepage so you can easily access our content everytime you want.
Thank you for reading,
The Hashtagie Team